Saturday, December 19, 2009

A journey of a thousand miles....

As Legolas said, though referring to something else, "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind..."

A bit of back story first.

A few years back, I got the idea in my head to just drop everything and go wander. Drift wherever my feet or interest or roads take me. When I run low on money, simply stop and get a basic job to build funds up again, then head off.

That got put on the back burner due to many obligations that have come up, but still, it's there. I'd follow with interest other vagabonds, who took the ultimate act of courage and struck out for a new life. Amtrekker being one that I had the pleasure of meeting.

But then, about a month or so ago, the shadow began growing. It swelled in size and strength, until it weighed upon me like the chains borne by Marley. I couldn't get it out of my head and the utter sense of urgency, the sense of NOW, could not be shaken. For once, my life was beginning to line up in such a way that the whole thing was possible.

My credit cards could very well be paid off this month, a big hang up as wandering acquires no income. School semester has now ended, leaving me with the choice to continue on. And... well, let's just say that the other big responsibility in my life doesn't have quite the hold it used to.

Could I do it? Could I drop everything and just Go. No destination, no goal, no objective, just put on a backpack and let the wind carry me off. As the Master wanderer said, "It is a dangerous business going out your front door."

Well, not exactly. Still enough ties here to hold me back. But, to appease the monster that has been dominating my concentration and focus lately, I figured I'll start by taking steps.

One idea I have is to actively blog my journey/adventure/whatever. Now I do have my phone, an HTC Touch Pro 2, but typing to type anything of length is almost nightmarish. And lugging around the laptop is just a bear. So, the solution? A netbook!

I've been wanting one of these for awhile, and seeing habu using it to navigate to caches and then seeing nvsrvyr's Mission Control set up really really made me want one. And what better little device to haul around and blog and surf and whatever while on the road??

So, I have now taken step one.

I'm currently writing this on my new Samsung N130 and it's rigged up to go fully mobile cache wise and totally mobile for recording my journey for whatever adventures lie before me.

1 comment:

way2wild said...

Good luck to you... I'll be following your adventures...